Local Unit & Position Description
The Approval organization within Maritime Ship Classification consists of Approval Centre Norway (Høvik and Ålesund), Approval Centre Germany (Hamburg) and Approval Support Centre Poland (Gdynia). The total number of employees is ~380 with the two bigger units in Norway and Germany and a smaller unit in Poland. The main delivery from the Approval organization is approval, verification and certification services for different maritime related assets, ship new buildings and conversions, systems and components.
Due to increasing demand for services within the Gas Carrier segment, the new unit Gas Carrier Excellence Center (GCEC) has been established in Ship Classification. GCEC is responsible for tankers for liquefied gas, including Class rules for this ship type. We are involved at all stages of a ship's life; from early phase assessment and concept evaluation, document approval and technical support during the new building- or conversion phase, to support to vessels in operation. We are also actively contributing in market activities which implies a high degree of interaction with customers, sub suppliers, yards and authorities. We are now seeking to strengthen our team in Oslo/ Høvik with knowledgeable, passionate engineers, who have specific experience with or interest in LNG and LPG.
We can offer interesting and technically challenging work with the possibility to develop both specialist - as well as a broader and more general competence. You will be part of a multi discipline team were typical daily work task includes:
- Approval of ship- and machinery piping, cargo containment- and cargo handling systems for all types of gas carriers including Floating Storage- and Regasification Units (FSRUs)
- Internal and external technical support
- Issuance of IGC code certificate
- Development and maintenance of governing documents like rules, instructions and guidelines
- Pre-contract services and marketing activities
- Internal and external competence development
- Assessment and approval of novel technology
- Some travelling is expected
- BSc or MSc within relevant disciplines (naval architect, marine, -machinery or process engineering or similar)
- Some working experience within relevant fields of expertise, i.e LNG/ LPG cargo- or process systems
- Knowledge about the maritime industry and the gas segment in particular is preferable
- Knowledge of Class- and statutory requirements is an advantage
- Fluent in English; written and oral. Norwegian is an advantage
- Team player with a positive attitude who strive to obtain results for the team
- Customer focused with a solution-oriented mindset
- A curious mind motivated by learning
- Dedication for gas technology, safety and innovation
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- High integrity
- Flexible, service-minded and with a positive attitude
What we offer:
- Interesting and challenging projects both national and international
- Position in an international team of dedicated highly competent colleagues with expert knowledge and specialities within the maritime domain delivering
- Be part of a world leading Maritime company with global reach, headquartered in Norway and more than 12 000 people with large international job opportunities.
- Chance to develop knowledge and competence and realising your ambitions in DNV GL
Head of Department – Gas Carriers, Norway
Hvem er DNV GL?
DNV GL is a global quality assurance and risk management company. Driven by our purpose of safeguarding life, property and the environment, we enable our customers to advance the safety and sustainability of their business. We provide classification, technical assurance, software and independent expert advisory services to the maritime, oil & gas, power and renewables industries. We also provide certification, supply chain and data management services to customers across a wide range of industries. Combining technical, digital and operational expertise, risk methodology and in-depth industry knowledge, we empower our customers’ decisions and actions with trust and confidence. We continuously invest in research and collaborative innovation to provide customers and society with operational and technological foresight. With origins stretching back to 1864 and operations in more than 100 countries, our experts are dedicated to helping customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.
DNV GL is the world’s leading classification society and a recognized advisor for the maritime industry. We enhance safety, quality, energy efficiency and environmental performance of the global shipping industry – across all vessel types and offshore structures. We invest heavily in research and development to find solutions, together with the industry, that address strategic, operational or regulatory challenges.