Great technology needs great people! Are you a solution-oriented Transport and Handling Specialist with strong interpersonal skills? Join the Project Office of the Handling Engineering Group in the Engineering (EN) department and provide transport and handling solutions for CERN accelerators and experiments. CERN, take part!
The Engineering Department (EN) pushes forward the limits of technology so that physicists can carry out their research. The Handling Engineering Group (HE) organizes and coordinates all transport and handling operations for thousands of conventional items, chemical and radioactive products every year. Both standard industrial and custom-built transport and handling equipment are being procured, installed and commissioned by the Group. The park under its responsibility comprises hundreds of equipment that includes, amongst others, 119 lifts, 358 EOT cranes, 85 forklifts and 52 customized transport and handling equipment for the use in the accelerator complex.
- Be responsible for mechanical and electro-mechanical design, supervision of manufacture, assembly, test and operation of special handling machines and equipment including remotely operated handling equipment;
- Supervise equipment acceptance, safety inspections and implementation of recommendations;
- Perform structural and mechanical analysis calculations on handling tooling designed within the section;
- Perform 3D handling studies to determine the feasibility and the machines/tooling needed for specific handling operations;
- Elaborate ad hoc operating procedures;
- Support on site handling operations when machines, tooling and procedures used within the service are implemented;
- Draft technical specifications for off-the-shelf handling equipment and follow-up the procurement process;
- Perform formal functional requirements analysis, conceptual solution development and specification redaction for construction of custom designed handling equipment.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Mechanical Engineering or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience into design and development of lifting tooling and machines;
- Demonstrated field experience in supervision of transport and handling worksites with the implementation of procedures and machines designed for the operation.
- Design and construction of lifting and handling equipment
- Installation and commissioning of lifting and handling equipment
- Production of 2D drawings and 3D models
- Knowledge of standards and directives in the field of mechanics and handling tools.
- Solving Problems: assimilating large quantities of information, identifying key issues and formulating conclusions clearly and concisely. Producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements
- Achieving Results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind
- Communicating Effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point Ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented
- Working in Teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships
- Managing Self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand, speak and write French or English in professional contexts. Commitment to acquire the other language rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 16.01.2022.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: EN-HE-PO-2021-133-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Technical Engineer
Hvem er CERN?
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature.
Find out more on http://home.cern.