About the position
We have a vacancy for a for a Senior Research Officer (Senior Engineer) in atom probe tomography at the Department of materials science and engineering, NTNU.
The position is part of the establishment of an 3D Atom Probe Tomography (APT) laboratory in connection to the MiMaC national infrastructure.
The department is hosting the Norwegian national centre for Minerals and Materials Characterisation (MiMaC), co-hosting the Norwegian national centre for X-ray diffraction (REXC), in addition to being an important partner of the NTNU NanoLab, another national infrastructure, and NTNUs advanced analytical TEM instruments at the Trondheim node of the National Centre for Transmission Electron Microscopy (NorTEM).
Our recently purchased 3D Atom Probe (LEAP 5000XS) instrument is a part of the MiMaC-lab, and the department has the ambition to develop a world-leading research environment in the field of APT.
The right candidate for this position will contribute to strengthening the research profile in materials characterization at the department with emphasis on APT and related experimental techniques.
The position reports to technical leader.
- Participate in setting up and further development of the APT laboratory, maintenance and operations on the atom probe instrument and be responsible for user training. Assisting on other advanced material techniques can also be relevant.
- Develop competences and methodologies for APT characterization including sample preparation and data analysis.
- Technical responsible for the APT laboratory and related activities
- The research and the technical language will mainly be English
- Contribute to laboratory and teaching activities related to courses in various electron microscopy and other material characterization techniques
- Participate in research activities and research projects related to APT
- hands-on experience on running an APT instrument and relevant sample preparation and data analysis
- interest of running and maintaining the instrument and competence and experience with corresponding sample preparation techniques
- a master degree or preferably a PhD in a relevant field
- able to communicate orally and written in English at a very good level
- If the candidate does not speak or write any Scandinavian language, it is expected that knowledge of Norwegian is obtained within three years, equivalent to level three in the “Norwegian for Foreigners” courses provided by the Department of Linguistics, NTNU
- In depth knowledge of advanced material characterization techniques will be considered as an advantage
- Promising applicants who have not the experience in operation of APT, but with relevant theoretical background and with the potential to master the instrument within a short time training, may also be considered. Necessary training will then be provided to such a holder of the post.
- good communication skills
- demonstrated ability to work independently as well as in teams
- enjoys working in an environment where development and productivity is high
- structured and solution oriented
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal suitability, as well as motivation, in terms of the qualification requirements specified in the advertisement
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
The gross salary for the position of a senior engineer code 1087 is normally remunerated at gross from NOK 464 000 - 565 500 before tax per year, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2 % is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
Appointment takes place on the terms that apply to State employees at any time, and after the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have their name entered on the list of applicants.
Questions about the position can be directed to professor Yanjun Li, e.mail: email@example.com, phone (+47) 73551206 and technical leader Eli Beate Larsen, e.mail: eli,firstname.lastname@example.org, phone (+47) 91897599.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applicants invited for interview must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number when applying.
Application deadline: 19.11.2019
Hvem er NTNU - The Norwegian University of Science and Technology?
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
The Faculty of Natural Sciences is a key player in national and international research and education programmes in natural sciences and technology. Our research focuses on global challenges in the areas of energy, climate, the environment, food, water, health and welfare. The Faculty consists of eight departments as well as the Faculty Administration.