Come and join a great team pushing the limits of superconducting accelerator magnets, to shape the future of CERN's largest accelerator. CERN, take part!
You will join:
The Magnets, Superconductors and Cryostats (MSC) group of the Technology Department (TE), has the mandate to design, construct, and measure the superconducting and normal conducting magnets for the CERN accelerator complex; integrate them in the CERN accelerator complex; design the magnet cryostats and perform the magnet quality control. The group also provides support to the operation of the accelerators for magnets, magnet performance and devices.
The Cryostat and Machine Integration Section (CMI) is responsible for the design and construction of cryostats for accelerator SC devices and integration of technical systems. It is also in charge of the maintenance of the LHC SC magnet cryostats and construction of spares. These activities take place in a dedicated facility on the CERN site, which is complemented by a storage building. The CMI Section is currently working on the design and construction of various equipment for the work packages of the HiLumi HL-LHC Project (https://hilumilhc.web.cern.ch), and on the maintenance of LHC SC magnet cryostats.
As a Technical Engineer for Construction of Superconducting Devices in the CMI section, you will :
- Contribute to the assembly, integration and installation of the superconducting link of HL-LHC.
- Design tooling for the assembly; assemble the cryogenic feed boxes, which are interfaces between the power convertors and the electrical circuits in the HL-LHC SC magnets.
- Take part in the assembly and commissioning of test station for the superconducting links of HL-LHC.
- Develop detailed production schedules, manufacture and inspection plans (MIP) and assembly procedures.
- Enforce the application of the QA/QC procedures throughout the construction and test activities.
- Provide regular reporting to the Line Management and Project Team.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in electro-mechanics, electrical powering systems or a related field.
The experience required for this post is as follows.
- Demonstrated experience in electro-mechanics, manufacturing and assembly technologies and processes.
- Good knowledge of welding processes such as TIG and MIG, as well as of the related qualification requirements such as WPS, WPQR, and qualification of welders.
- Proven experience in the production management and integration of electro-mechanical systems of high complexity that necessitate stringent QA/QC monitoring.
- Proven experience in high current rating (in the range of 20 kA) electrical circuits and systems that also imply high voltage electrical insulation requirements (in the range of 5-10 kV).
- Hands on experience in the execution of HV testing and associated safety standards.
- Knowledge and application of joining techniques: gluing: soldering, and welding
- Construction, test and installation of electromechanical equipment and systems
- Construction, test and commissioning of electrical circuits and networks
- Knowledge of operational safety in a workshop environment, including personal protective equipment
- Specification and follow-up of technical aspects of a contract: (procurement)
- Knowledge of leak and pressure testing will be an asset
- Achieving Results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations. Objectively assessing and monitoring own work; regularly reporting on progress and advising of any changes in schedule or priorities Producing comprehensive project plans taking into account resources
- Demonstrating Accountability: working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises. Presenting information accurately and objectively
- Working in Teams: understanding when teamwork is required to achieve the best results; including others and sharing information. Cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
- Working in the Interest of the Organization: actively promoting safety and encouraging others to do the same; respecting safety rules and procedures
- Communicating Effectively: ensuring that information and procedures are appropriately documented
Spoken and written English or French.
Good knowledge of the other language or willingness to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 05.05.2022 at noon.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (4 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: TE-MSC-CMI-2022-27-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electromechanical Technical Engineer
Hvem er CERN?
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature.
Find out more on http://home.cern.