NIBIO's Division of Biotechnology and Plant Health seeks to fill a 3-year, full-time position as a software developer. The place of employment is Ås, Akershus, Norway. The position is associated with VIPS, an Open Source technology platform for prognosis, monitoring and decision support in agriculture, specifically made for Integrated Pest Management (IPM)
VIPS facilitates research, development and extension with focus on easy customization from the local to the international level.
This versatility has provided the opportunity to integrate VIPS with several international projects in Europe, Asia and Africa. Read more about VIPS here.
- Application development, data acquisition and database administration related to the development of VIPS for use abroad, e.g. in Europe, African countries, India and China
- Communicate project results and new developments to different user groups, ranging from research communities to agricultural advisors and farmers
- Have an active role in international projects, and participate in VIPS development and integration with corresponding systems
- Bachelor or Master in Information and communications technology (ICT), or relevant work experience
- Good skills in relation databases, web application development and preferably app development
- Good communication skills, ability to communicate fluently in both spoken and written English
- Knowledge of cloud services, web services, web maps and Open Source
- Knowledge of machine learning
- Experience from working in international projects
- Knowledge of agriculture and plant health
- Ability to communicate in Norwegian/Scandinavian and French or other languages is useful
- Ability to work independently, cooperate and work in a team
- Able to work precise and dedicated, and to put in extra effort during busy periods
- Willingness for travelling all over the world, particularly in Africa and Asia
Salary and benefits
- The position is remunerated according to the Norwegian State Salary Scale as senior engineer code 1087 or lead engineer code 1181 or researcher code 1109 (PhD required), salary grade 53-67 (NOK 464.800 - 597.400), commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Membership in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund, which includes a good occupational pension scheme, occupational injury and group life insurance, and low-interest home loans.
Do you need more information?
- Contact Research Scientist Berit Nordskog +47 920 39 087 or Senior Adviser Tor-Einar Skog +47 913 03 819, or see website.
How to apply for the position
Please send your application with CV electronically via the link on this page.
Take diplomas and letters of recommendation with you if invited to an interview, or submit them as an attachment along with the electronic application/CV.
In accordance with the Norwegian Civil Service equal opportunities policy, qualified candidates are encouraged to apply - regardless of age, gender, functional disabilities or national or ethnic background.
NIBIO is an inclusive workplace.
We would like to point out that information about applicants may be subject to public disclosure, in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act (Offentlighetsloven), Section 25. An applicant can request to be exempted from inclusion on a public list of applicants. If the request for confidentiality is denied, the applicant will be notified thereof.
Hvem er Norsk institutt for bioøkonomi - NIBIO?
NIBIO`s activities lie within agriculture, food, climate and the environment. The Institute conducts research and management support, and provides knowledge for use in national preparedness, governmental and district management, industry, and the society at large. NIBIO has approximately 700 employees present in all parts of the country. Its main office is located at Ås in Akershus. NIBIO is owned by the Ministry of Agriculture and Food.
The Division of Biotechnology and Plant Health has Norway?s core scientific expertise in plant and forest health serving agriculture, forestry, government and the general public. The division is using biotechnology to diagnose, map and combat plant diseases, pests and weeds. Other key areas of expertise include pesticide and natural substance chemistry, genetics, aquatic and terrestrial bioprospecting, macroalgae, and non-food plants.