Local Unit & Position Description
Department for Marine Structures consists of 125 skilled and enthusiastic engineers working mainly with technical advisory services related to hydrodynamics, foundations, marine operations, mooring as well as capacity of offshore structures.
Our section for Offshore Structures is looking for structural engineers, i.e. from newly educated to principal engineers. The section consists of four groups located at Høvik, Stavanger and Trondheim. The unit is highly competent within structural assessments and analyses of steel structures. The 40 engineers in the section cooperate closely with other units in DNV GL forming multidisciplinary teams. Our projects are related to both new builds and offshore units in service, e.g. oil & gas platforms, offshore wind installations, offshore fish farms and floating bridges.
This has resulted in a stable work load and challenging tasks for many years.
We provide an inspiring working environment for candidates interested in technical challenges and being a part of a highly competent team.
The position offers great opportunities to apply and develop personal and technical skills in various areas dependent on qualifications and interests. Relevant activities are:
- Execution of structural and hydrodynamic analyses of offshore structures like jackets, FPSOs, spars, semisubmersibles and TLPs
- Capacity evaluations of offshore steel structures for ultimate, fatigue and accidental limit state conditions
- Advanced analyses such as frequency/time domain analyses and non-linear analyses for structures exposed to extreme loads, e.g. explosion, fire, dropped object and wave slamming
- Structural reassessment and life extension of offshore units due to ageing or changes in the design premises
- Inspection planning
- Project management
- Business development: further develop DNV GL's services related to verification and advisory work of offshore structures
Your responsibility will naturally depend on your experience.
Your work place will be in Oslo (Høvik), Stavanger or Trondheim, depending on your preferences. Some travel must be expected.
We seek you who have a MSc/PhD degree in structural engineering, naval architecture, civil engineering or similar.
You should be familiar with:
- Offshore structures
- NORSOK standards
- Capacity of steel structures
- Finite Element (FE) method
- Environmental loading, e.g. hydrodynamics
- Linear structural FE analyses using the SESAM software package or similar
- Non-linear structural analyses using software such as USFOS, Abaqus or similar
- Project management (not newly educated personnel)
- Undertaking role as lead engineer (senior personnel only)
- Programming, scripting etc.
For positions in Stavanger, candidates with a wide customer network will be preferred.
- You have a solid academic background with university degree corresponding to Master of Science or higher within structural and/or marine engineering
- You are a team player with a positive and proactive attitude
- You have the ability to combine theoretical knowledge and practical skills
- You are able to combine cross-discipline knowledge to create new business opportunities and technical solutions (senior personnel)
- You should have communication, presentation and client management skills
- You should be goal and solution-oriented
- You are eager to learn and develop yourself
- You speak fluently in in Norwegian and English
At DNV GL, we offer opportunities beyond business. In addition to competitive conditions, the right candidate will enjoy the possibility to make a global impact for a safe and sustainable future. Our working culture is based on respect for one another and an appreciation of the need for work – life balance.
Join us and you will:
- Work with dedicated and competent colleagues with a high education and specialization level in an international environment.
- Meet demanding customers and face complex and exciting technical challenges.
- Live locally yet work on challenges globally and enjoy working at our attractive offices in Høvik, Trondheim and Stavanger. For those that prefer a change, there are also opportunities to move abroad for some time.
- Have space for innovation. We encourage and actively enable creativity and innovation, for example through our extraordinary innovation projects, and our joint initiatives with key industry players.
- Learn more every day. We offer a wide array of development opportunities, in terms of roles, technologies, and geographies; on the job and through training, both internally, and through our education fund and collaboration agreements with UCLA at Berkeley and IMD business school.
- Live a balanced life. We offer a flexible working environment, attractive pension and insurance schemes, 30 days annual vacation, sports and leisure activities with colleagues.
Group Leader- Offshore Structures Stavanger
Per Arne Kanter
Head of Section, Offshore Structures
Hvem er DNV GL?
DNV GL is a global quality assurance and risk management company. Driven by our purpose of safeguarding life, property and the environment, we enable our customers to advance the safety and sustainability of their business. We provide classification, technical assurance, software and independent expert advisory services to the maritime, oil & gas, power and renewables industries. We also provide certification, supply chain and data management services to customers across a wide range of industries. Combining technical, digital and operational expertise, risk methodology and in-depth industry knowledge, we empower our customers’ decisions and actions with trust and confidence. We continuously invest in research and collaborative innovation to provide customers and society with operational and technological foresight. With origins stretching back to 1864 and operations in more than 100 countries, our experts are dedicated to helping customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.
DNV GL is the world’s leading classification society and a recognized advisor for the maritime industry. We enhance safety, quality, energy efficiency and environmental performance of the global shipping industry – across all vessel types and offshore structures. We invest heavily in research and development to find solutions, together with the industry, that address strategic, operational or regulatory challenges.