Are you an enthusiastic engineer in electro mechanics looking to acquire RF power experience whilst working on complex RF problematics? CERN, take part!
You will join the Accelerator Systems Department (SY), which is responsible for the beam-related technical systems of the CERN accelerators. The SY teams design, build and operate equipment systems in all CERN accelerators, and are engaged in ambitious forward-looking R&D programmes.
You will be working with the Amplifiers & Couplers section of the Radio Frequency Group. The team is responsible for the design, operation and maintenance of large RF power plants and related infrastructure, as well as the design of the amplifiers of the future!
We are working with power systems producing between 20 kW and 2 MW of RF power in the frequency range of 100 to 800 MHz. Employed amplifier technologies include solid state, tetrodes and IOT (Inductive Output Tubes). We also design, construct and test the RF power lines and the RF power couplers that enables the amplifiers to feed the accelerating cavities.
As an RF Engineer, you will be part of a team working on RF power amplifiers with the responsibility for:
- Designing high power RF systems for CERN's present and future accelerators;
- Designing, constructing and testing RF power generation components;
- Maintaining and testing RF systems across existing accelerators;
- Following up the operation and maintenance of RF components and systems as part of an on-call service;
- Providing peers with technical expertise and advice;
- Taking a leading role in R&D for future RF systems.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electromechanical engineering or a related field.
- Demonstrated engineering experience in high-power RF component design;
- Experience with high-power RF component manufacturing and testing;
- Experience with overall RF system design;
- Experience with RF system operation and maintenance.
- Design, construction and testing of RF power generation components and systems;
- Operation and maintenance of RF components and systems;
- Knowledge and application of RF techniques, in particular 3D electromagnetic simulation tool.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: thinking "out of the box" and proposing fresh ideas, insights and methodologies; taking steps to expand knowledge in other areas of expertise beyond own field.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities; supporting and acting in accordance with team decisions; accepting joint responsibility for team successes and shortcomings.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements.
- Achieving results: delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs; driving work / projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion.
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 12 o'clock midday CET on 10.05.2022.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: SY-RF-AC-2022-37-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electromechanical Engineer
Hvem er CERN?
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.