Are you an experienced professional firefighter? Would you like to work in an industrial setting? Does the idea of a new experience in a unique environment appeal to you? Then join an international team of highly trained firefighters at CERN! Take part!
The Fire and Rescue Service is part of the Occupational Health & Safety and Environmental Protection (HSE) Unit. Firefighters currently work on 12-hour shift patterns. In addition, they are also on call 24/7. Furthermore, in order to maintain adequate operational capacity and to enhance fire safety, they dedicate time to training and maintenance. Maintenance work is focused primarily on fire extinguishers and hose reels. Most of this work is carried out during the week.
CERN's Fire and Rescue Service also collaborates with the Organization's Host States' Fire Departments and Emergency Medical Services: SDIS 01 (France) and SIS of Geneva (Switzerland), with whom possible emergency interventions and exercises are held.
As a firefighter, you will join an international team, receive on-the-job training relating to CERN-specific risks.
- Perform firefighting, emergency medical response and rescue operations
- Staff the Safety Control Room dispatch centre
- Carry out technical inspections and patrols
- Provide assistance in cases where the presence of a firefighter is required (e.g. work in confined spaces, transport missions involving special risks, events)
- Follow training and take part in exercises in compliance with the Fire and Rescue Service’s training plan
- Participate in prevention initiatives (e.g. information, training, expertise, collaboration)
- Maintain emergency response equipment (e.g. fire extinguishers, fire hydrants, measurement devices, medical equipment)
- Participate in activities within the Fire and Rescue Service’s projects
- Perform administrative and collective tasks fundamental to the running of the Service
- Take part in group and individual physical training sessions
Other, for use in exceptional circumstances: in the field of A professional firefighters qualification, or equivalent, issued by a public body or a private body acting under the delegation of a public service. or a related field.
Experience as a Crew manager can be an asset. A driving license valid for fire engines and large goods vehicles (category C).
Demonstrated experience as a professional firefighter in a service or corporation involving continuous operational activity.
- Emergency first response: including rescue operations and emergency medical care.
- Hazardous materials response operations
- Use of office software packages
- Provide safety training: delivering fire extinguisher and first aid courses
- Demonstrating Flexibility: demonstrating a willingness to accept changing circumstances; supporting initiatives for change being able to deal with ambiguous or unpredictable situations Adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements
- Working in Teams: understanding when teamwork is required to achieve the best results; including others accordingly and sharing information Acknowledging the contribution of colleagues; recognizing their limitations and offering support to overcome their difficulties
- Building Relationships: relating well to all people regardless of category/level within the Organization Caring about the well-being of others
- Demonstrating Accountability: taking responsibility for own actions and decisions
- Managing Self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting Taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen
Proficiency in English and/or French. The ability to understand and speak the other language in everyday/emergency situations is an advantage.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 31.08.2022.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Residence in the immediate vicinity of the Organization's installations.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Shift work, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
Job grade: 2-3
Job reference: HSE-FRS-2022-47-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Firefighter
Hvem er CERN?
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.