Are you an ASIC design engineer with consolidated experience in the development of high-reliability and radiation-tolerant power distribution circuits? We are seeking to consolidate our team dedicated to develop and bring to production readiness DCDC converters and linear regulators for the distribution of power in electronic systems for the most advanced scientific experiments in particle physics. Join our team and help us extend our portfolio of Point-Of-Load and Intermediate-Bus converters capable of reliably functioning in extreme radiation and magnetic field environments. Take part in this challenge at CERN!
You will join the Electronic Systems for Experiments Group (ESE) of the Experimental Physics Department (EP), which designs electronic systems, including ASICs, for the experiments at CERN and also supplies a series of electronics related services. The Microelectronics section (ME) develops analog, digital and mixed-signal integrated circuits for the readout and control of the CERN experiments.
As a power distribution ASICs design engineer in the Microelectronics section of the ESE group, you will:
- Participate in all phases of the full-custom design of linear regulators and DCDC converters capable of reliable functionality in the radiation and magnetic fields of the physics experiments at CERN;
- Qualify CMOS-HV, BCD, and GaN technologies for the design of radiation-tolerant power distribution ASICs, as well as devise design techniques to achieve the required radiation tolerance;
- Take part in the full characterisation of the electrical and radiation tolerance properties of the designed ASICs, as well as in the study of their long-term reliability;
- Develop functional models of the power distribution ASICs for high-level system simulations;
- Coordinate the production, packaging and testing of the production-ready ASICs with Industrial suppliers and their distribution to collaborators in the CERN experiments, and provide support for their use in electronic systems.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electronics engineering or a related field.
The experience required for this post is:
- Deep knowledge and demonstrated experience in the design of fully integrated Point-of-Load DCDC converter ASICs, with both buck and resonant architectures, covering the entire full-custom sequence from schematic entry to physical verification and sign-off;
- Experience in the design and qualification of radiation-tolerant ASICs;
- Experience in electrical and reliability testing of power distribution electronic components;
- Experience in the development of functional models of switched converters with dedicated software tools.
Experience in the following fields will also be valued:
- Experience in the choice and optimisation of magnetic components for DCDC converters;
- Experience in the use of GaN technologies for power distribution circuits;
- Experience in digital ASIC design.
- Design and simulation of analog microelectronic circuits;
- Testing and measurement of analog microelectronic circuits;
- Design of DC/DC converters;
- Knowledge of radiation effects on electronics and mitigation techniques.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Communicating effectively: checking to ensure that the message has been well understood; ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information; sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
- Solving problems: addressing complex problems by breaking them down into manageable components; identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them.
- English: spoken and written with the ability to draw up technical texts.
- The ability to understand and speak French in professional contexts would be an advantage.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 07.09.2021, 12PM CET (midday).
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: EP-ESE-ME-2021-84-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electronics Engineer
Hvem er CERN?
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.