Have you always wanted to be challenged with the exploitation of mechatronics and control systems for beam intercepting devices and robotics in the CERN accelerators? Do you want to participate in projects from the initial design stages up to the commissioning phases? Would you like to apply your technical knowledge to be involved in the design, development and maintenance of complex mechatronic devices? If you relish a challenge, join CERN`s Mechatronics, Robotics and Operation section and realize your potential. Take part!
You will join the Beams Department (BE), the Controls Electronics and Mechatronics Group (CEM), and in particular the Mechatronics, Robotics and Operation section (MRO), responsible for the design and the operation of the mechatronics of the CERN accelerators beam intercepting devices (BIDs) as well as the development of robotic solutions for remote inspections and tele-manipulation in hazardous areas.
As a Mechatronics Technician, you will take part in all the life-cycle of complex mechatronic controls and robotic systems, from the prototyping phase to the installation, commissioning and operation.
Your functions will include:
- Conception, design, fabrication, installation, operation and maintenance of electrical chassis for Beam Intercepting Devices control systems.
- Participation in the development and support of test benches for the acceptance tests of position sensors and actuators.
- Electromechanical design, assembly and maintenance of novel robots and remote maintenance tools, following-up specifications and assembly/production procedures.
- Coordination and performing of remote maintenance intervention using intelligent robotic systems.
Higher technical diploma or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electrical or electro-mechanical or a related field.
- Substantial experience in the design and hardware production of mechatronic control systems.
- Demonstrated experience of complex electrical schematics drawing and updating.
- Strong experience in maintenance of electromechanical systems.
- Working experience with motion actuators and sensors, and their driving electronics.
- Proficiency in testing and debugging complex electromechanical systems.
- Proven practical experience of understanding mechanical 2D and 3D drawings.
- Experience of robotic systems and operation of robots would be a plus.
- Operation and maintenance of electromechanical equipment and systems
- Design, construction, test, installation, maintenance and operation of electromechanical control equipment and systems.
- Construction and integration of mechatronic and robotic systems
- Knowledge of electromechanical machine technologies and functional analysis of control systems.
- Knowledge and application of quality and reliability assurance techniques in mechatronics
- Practical knowledge of electrical design tools (e.g. SEE Electrical or Eplan) and 2D/3D drawings visualization tools.
- Working in Teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships Contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues Working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities
- Communicating Effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point
- Solving Problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them
- Managing Self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting Taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen Using time efficiently and effectively
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 12 midday 20th August 2021.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job reference: BE-CEM-MRO-2021-71-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electromechanical Technician
Hvem er CERN?
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.