Mechanical or Electro-Mechanical Technician in the Beams Department (BE), Beam Instrumentation Group (BI), Mechanics and Logistics (ML) Section.
You will join the Beams Department, which hosts the Groups responsible for beam generation, acceleration, diagnostics, controls and performance optimisation for all CERN accelerators including the LHC. You will work in the Beam Instrumentation Group and collaborate with many different specialists in the field of electronics, software, mechanics and physics to master the challenges of developing and maintaining the mechanical systems measuring accelerated particle beams.
As a mechanical or electro-mechanical technician in the Mechanics and Logistics Section, your task will be to build, install and maintain the mechanical systems used to monitor particle beams throughout the CERN accelerator complex.
Your main activities will consist of:
- Mechanical and electro-mechanical design, production, assembly and installation of new instruments for measuring and optimizing the performance of the LHC and its injector chain.
- Maintaining the mechanical components of beam instrumentation systems across the CERN accelerator complex.
- Higher technical diploma in the fields of mechanics or electro-mechanics, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience as a technician in the fields of mechanics or electro-mechanics.
- Experience of working in an accelerator environment would be an advantage.
- Initial experience in calculating mechanical structures would be an advantage.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Commissioning and maintenance of mechanical equipment and systems.
- Precision assembly and construction.
- Design of mechanical systems.
- 3D & 2D technical drawing.
- Contract management.
- Design of electro-mechanical systems for UHV environments.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations. Willingness to acquire the knowledge of the other language rapidly.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 26.11.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Hvem er CERN?
The Convention also states that CERN shall organize and sponsor international co-operation in research, promoting contacts between scientists and interchange with other laboratories and institutes. This includes dissemination of information, and the provision of advanced training for research workers, which continue to be reflected in the current programmes for technology transfer, education and training at many levels.