Hydro Aluminium Metal a leading supplier of extrusion ingots, sheet ingots, foundry alloys, wire rods and high-purity aluminum with a global production network of around 5,000 employees. With primary metal production facilities in Europe, Canada, Australia, Brazil and Qatar, and recycling facilities throughout Europe and in the U.S., two-thirds of our primary aluminum production is based on renewable energy.
Since 1905, Hydro has turned natural resources into valuable products for people and businesses with focus on a safe and good workplace for our 34,000 employees in more than 140 locations.
Hydro is committed to leading the way in shaping a sustainable future and in doing so, creating more viable societies by developing natural resources into products and solutions in innovative and efficient ways to industries that matter.
The Technology and Operational Support (TOS) unit is part of Hydro’s Aluminium Metal business area and has around 190 employees in Norway and Germany. The main task of TOS is to support commercial and operational units in improving Aluminium Metal’s profitability and sustainability in the short and medium term - while also having longer term technology development as a core activity.
We are now looking for a skilled Mechanical Engineer / Product Designer to join our Technology Development department in TOS.
This position will actively contribute to Hydro’s sustainability and profitability agenda.
Area of Responsibility
As a Mechanical Engineer your main responsibility is to participate in, and lead, project activities to secure efficiency and optimal operation, and that implements new technology at Hydro's smelters in Norway and abroad. This may include development and implementation of both internally and externally developed technology solutions designed for functionality, durability and safety.
Main tasks are:
- Project participation/management related to developing aluminium electrolysis cell technology
- Develop mechanical solutions taking a product from start to finish
- Idea initiation, design, engineering, follow-up and quality assurance
- Manufacturing, implementation, testing, verification, maintenance and documentation
- Engage in frequent and regular follow-up of test cells at Årdal Reference Centre
- Technology implementation and operational support to Hydro’s plants
- Promote cooperation between plants, process owner and TOS
- PhD or Master in Mechanical Engineering, Product Design or Material Technology
- We will consider both newly graduated candidates and more experienced candidates with an appropriate profile
- Experience and well-developed skill set within CAD and FEM, preferably Autodesk Inventor and ANSYS
- Programming skills, data analytics skills and/or mechatronic experience are desired
- Fluency in English and Norwegian, both oral and in written
As a person you communicate effectively with different stakeholders both internally and externally. You are curious and creative with well-developed problem-solving skills. You enjoy working and collaborating in teams, and to share competence with others. You work structured, practical and systematic with attention to details, and perform well also under pressure.
Office location will be in Årdal.
Some travel is expected.
Please enclose a cover letter and copies of relevant academic transcripts, diplomas, certificates etc. Only applications received through our online system will be considered, not via e-mail.
As part of our recruitment process, we use Semac for background check.
Hvem er Hydro -?
We are Hydro, a global family of 30,000 people, present in a broad range of market segments for aluminium, energy, metal recycling, batteries and renewables, offering a unique wealth of knowledge and competence.
We have a proud history and are committed to leading the way in shaping a sustainable future by developing natural resources into innovative products and solutions. In doing so, we truly believe that our People matter the most to make the difference.