The Department of building and environmental technology (IBM) at the Faculty of Science and technology, NMBU, has a permanent full time position vacancy as associate professor/assistant professor within water infrastructure engineering.
We are looking for a highly motivated person that can strengthen teaching and research within planning, operation, and management of underground pipes and other infrastructure for water, wastewater, and stormwater transport. You will become part of the water group at the faculty, and the position is affiliated with the five-year integrated MSc program in water and environmental engineering. The water group and our study program are growing, and you will have the opportunity to contribute to the further development of our field. The group currently consists of eight full-time staff members, in addition to adjunct professors, postdocs and PhD students.
We also expect you to serve as a main link between the water group and a new national center for water infrastructure, to be located at Campus Ås near NMBU. The new center is a result of public and private actors joining forces to strengthen the Norwegian water sector’s ability to manage an aging water infrastructure. NMBU is one of the partners in the center. The center will facilitate practical teaching and demonstration activities, testing and technological development as well as applied research.
REALTEK offers new academic staff an attractive onboarding package:
If you are not already a main supervisor for a PhD-student, you will be prioritized when distributing university funded PhD positions
You will get NOK 50.000 as start-up funding for conference fees, travel, etc.
Teaching and MSc supervision:
- Contribute to teaching and MSc supervision within urban water transport systems (drinking water, wastewater, stormwater)
- Responsibility for further development of topics/courses offered within underground pipe/infrastructure engineering (e.g., material science, construction engineering, geotechnical engineering, conventional and trenchless installation and rehabilitation, infrastructure asset management (IAM)/rehabilitation planning etc.)
- Contribute to ongoing research activities within urban water transport systems
- Develop new research activities within underground pipe/infrastructure engineering
- Supervision of PhD students (in the event of employment as associate professor)
- Maintain close relations with the new national center for water infrastructure
- Administration related to own teaching and research activities
- Take part in research group meetings
- Serve on relevant institute, faculty, and university boards and committees
In the event of employment as assistant professor, a greater proportion of time is allocated for teaching and MSc supervision and less time for research.
Required academic qualifications
- For both categories of employment, documented experience from relevant engineering practice is required
For employment as associate professor, the following qualifications are required:
- PhD degree in a relevant subject area
Documented educational competence using a “teaching portfolio” with a description of;
- Formal pedagogical qualifications, e.g., completed a program/course of at least 200 hours
- Teaching and supervision experience
- Breadth or variation in pedagogical experience
- Basic skills in planning, implementation, evaluation and development of teaching and supervision
Those who do not meet the educational requirements for employment will be required to meet them within two years of employment.
For employment as assistant professor, the following qualifications are required:
- MSc degree or equivalent in a relevant subject area
- Relevant research qualifications beyond an MSc degree and/or relevant professional experience
- Documented relevant educational competence based on formal training or teaching and supervision experience
Those who do not meet the educational requirements for employment will be required to complete a pedagogy course within two years of employment.
Required language skills
The administrative language at the university is Norwegian, and the university is international. It is therefore a requirement that applicants must have very good skills in both written and oral Norwegian and English. Skills in Swedish or Danish can replace the requirement for Norwegian competence. Applicants who do not speak a Scandinavian language undertake to learn this within three years at level B2 or equivalent.
In the event of otherwise equal qualifications, applicants who speak Norwegian or Scandinavian fluently will be preferred.
Desired academic qualifications
For both categories of employment, the following experiences and skills will be emphasized:
- Documented broad theoretical and practical understanding of water infrastructure engineering
- Deep expertise within one or more subject areas of relevance to water infrastructure engineering
- Documented teaching and supervision experience from engineering education
- A research record within water infrastructure engineering
- Knowledge of the Norwegian water sector
- Knowledge of software used for engineering practice (e.g., GIS, CAD, FEM, simulation software)
- Quantitative research skills (scientific programming, mathematics, statistics, data science)
- National and international professional network
- Ability to acquire external funding for research
Desired personal qualities
For both categories of employment, the following personal qualities will be emphasized:
- Genuine interest in teaching and interaction with students
- Demonstrated team spirit with good cooperative and communication skills
- Determination and ability to meet important deadlines even when balancing multiple tasks
- Motivation for building a strong research group
- Motivation for participating in national and international networks of professionals
Personal suitability will be given weight.
If several applicants are given a similar overall evaluation, those meeting the requirements for employment as associate professors will be preferred.
NMBU wants more women in permanent scientific positions. Women are therefore encouraged to apply
Remuneration and further information
The position is placed in government pay scale position code
- 1011 Associate Professor, wage framework 24, salary grade 65-77 (NOK 594 300 - 752 800), depending on qualifications. Seniority promotion in position.
- 1009 Assistant professor, wage framework 25, salary grade 57-67 (NOK 516 100 – 615 800), depending on qualifications. Seniority promotion in position.
If employed as associate professor, the candidate may apply for promotion to full professor upon starting the position.
For further information, please contact:
Associate professor Leif Daniel Houck, Head of department of Building- and Environmental Technology, E-mail: email@example.com, phone: +47 672 31 592
Postdoc. Vegard Nilsen, head of water group, phone: +47 672 31 625, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply online for this vacancy, please click on the 'Apply for this job' button above. This will route you to the University's Web Recruitment System, where you will need to register an account (if you have not already) and log in before completing the online application form.
Application deadline: December 15th, 2021
Up to ten publications selected by the applicant as most relevant must be attached to the application. If it is difficult to identify the contribution of the applicant in multiple-author publications, a short explanation about the applicant’s part of the work is suggested.
Applicants for the positions as associate professor must also enclose documentation of their educational competence, called a teaching portifolio See NMBU's guide for applicants and members of the expert committee for documentation and assessment of educational competence for a position as associate professor.
Printed material which cannot be sent electronically should be sent by surface mail to Norwegian University of Life Sciences, Faculty of Science and Technology, P.O. Box 5003, NO-1432 Ås, within December 15th, 2021. Please quote reference number 21/04701.
Applicants invited for an interview will be asked to present verified copies of diplomas and certificates.
Pursuant to the Personal Data Act, we will hereby notify you that the report of the expert committee will be sent to all applicants.
About The Faculty of Science and Technology
The Faculty of Science and Technology (REALTEK) develops research-based knowledge and educates civil engineers and lecturers needed to reach the UN's sustainability goals. We have approximately 150 employees, 70 PhD students and soon 1500 students. The education and research at REALTEK cover a broad spectrum of disciplines.
This includes data science, mechanics and process engineering, robotics, construction and architecture, industrial economics, environmental physics and renewable energy, geomatics, water and environmental engineering, applied mathematics as well as secondary school teacher education in natural sciences and use of natural resources such as in agriculture, forestry and aquaculture. The workplace is in Ås, 30 km from Oslo.
The Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU)
NMBU has a particular responsibility for research and education that secures the basis for the life of future generations. Sustainability is rooted in everything we do and we deliver knowledge for life. NMBU has 1,800 employees of which about 250 phd scholarships and 6,000 students. The university is divided into seven faculties.
NMBU believes that a good working environment is characterised by diversity.
We encourage qualified candidates to apply regardless of gender, functional ability, cultural background or whether you have been outside the labour market for a period. If necessary, workplace adaptations will be made for persons with disabilities. More information about NMBU is available at www.nmbu.no.
Leif Daniel Houck
Associate professor, Head of department of Building- and Environmental Technology
Hvem er NMBU - Norges miljø- og biovitenskapelige universitet?
Norges miljø- og biovitenskapelige universitet (NMBU)
NMBU har et særlig ansvar for forskning og utdanning som sikrer livsgrunnlaget for fremtidige generasjoner. Bærekraft er forankret i alt vi gjør og vi leverer kunnskap for livet.
NMBU har 1800 ansatte, hvorav om lag 250 stipendiater, 6000 studenter og er organisert i sju fakulteter.
For NMBU er godt arbeidsmiljø preget av mangfold. Vi oppfordrer kvalifiserte kandidater til å søke uavhengig av kjønn, funksjonsevne, kulturell bakgrunn eller om du har vært utenfor arbeidslivet en periode. Arbeidsplassen vil om nødvendig bli lagt til rette for personer med nedsatt funksjonsevne
Nærmere opplysninger om NMBU finnes på www.nmbu.no