Are you an experienced technician, specialised in controls hardware?
Contribute with your expertise to operating and developing CERN’s unique vacuum infrastructure, one of the largest in the world with a total of 130 km of vacuum vessels. Join the Vacuum, Surfaces & Coatings Group! Take part!
The Vacuum, Surfaces and Coatings Group is responsible for all high and ultra-high vacuum systems for the CERN accelerators. Its mandate covers all activities from development to operation, including design, production and procurement, surface engineering and analysis, acceptance tests, control and monitoring.
As an Industrial Control Technician, you will:
- Provide support to the vacuum and accelerator operation teams; participate in the field interventions to assure maintenance, diagnose and repair control equipment in all CERN’s accelerators.
- Contribute to the definition and implementation of control systems for consolidations or new installations.
- Follow-up the manufacture of control equipment; perform and coordinate installation and commissioning works on the field.
- Test, configure, calibrate, maintain and repair control hardware; including: cables, connectors, electrical crates, electronic modules and PLCs. Manage the stock of controllers and associated components.
- Write detailed technical reports, procedures and manuals; keep accurate tracking of the on-going activities.
- Proactively contribute to the standardization and optimization of vacuum control systems; apply QA tools and methods; monitor and analyse the performance of the running systems; propose improvements.
Higher technical diploma or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Electronics, Instrumentation, Electrical, Automation engineering or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience with installation, configuration, commissioning and maintenance of PLC-based control systems, including field interventions in large and distributed control systems.
- Initial experience with planning and coordination of technical works.
- Knowledge of vacuum control systems’ architecture and components would be an asset.
- Experience in writing of technical documents and technical specifications.
- Installation, operation and maintenance of industrial data-acquisition, monitoring and control systems.
- Configuration and implementation of industrial data-acquisition, monitoring and control systems: configuration and implementation of PLC and fieldbus system: familiar with Siemens-S7 and Profibus/Profinet.
- Assembly of electronic crates, racks and cabinets: including connectors and cables.
- Testing and measurement of analog electronic circuits: as well as digital electronics circuits.
- Project management: such as small projects organisation, team planning, coordination with external stakeholders.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them. Finding the information needed to solve problems; making objective judgments based on all the facts available. Producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements. Being willing to work on different projects simultaneously.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting. Using time efficiently and effectively.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Communicating effectively: ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented. Expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point.
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 20.05.2022 at noon CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: TE-VSC-ICM-2022-35-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electronics Technician
Hvem er CERN?
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.