About the position
Would you like to contribute to the construction of a world-class front end for a world-class archive of solar observations?
A three-year temporary position as Head Engineer is available for this purpose at the Institute of Theoretical Astrophysics, University of Oslo. The starting date is preferably January 1st, 2020.
We seek someone with a passion for front-end/full-stack development in particular and for programming in general, with a primary focus on functionality and user friendliness over aesthetic concerns.
A pilot study for the new front end has been made using React/MobX, and this will most likely be the technology used for further development. The existing back end is written in PHP, but we are open for translations of the relevant code to use e.g. Node.js.
The position is placed within the institute's Project Related IT Services group, consisting of 3 permanent employees. The group provides specialised software development in support of externally financed international research projects, in close cooperation with researchers.
The group now needs to be expanded by one person for a period of three years.
- Construction of the new front end for the Hinode/IRIS archive, in close cooperation with the group lead.
- The tasks will also include some alterations and extensions of the existing back end.
- Strong ability to work and acquire new skills independently
- Good abilities in written and spoken English
- Relevant higher education (e.g. IT or other IT-intensive educations such as physics or astrophysics) at a bachelor's degree level. Documented experience resulting in equivalent competence may also be accepted.
- Some Norwegian skills
Desirable additional experience/skills:
- Good general collaboration and communication skills
- Additional higher education (e.g. Master's degree)
- Good skills using the common tools of modern front-end development (npm/Node, Visual Studio Code or Atom, SASS or LESS, Chrome Developer Tools, git, etc)
- Experience with MySQL/Mariadb and PHP
- Experience with storage engine development for MySQL/Mariadb
- Experience with software testing (unit/integration testing) and documentation.
- Salary NOK 472.000 - 573.100 per annum depending on qualifications in a position as Head Engineer , position code 1087
- A challenging and inspiring project
- A stimulating working environment
- Good pension benefits under the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund scheme
- Good welfare benefits
How to apply
The application must include:
- cover letter statement of motivation
- CV (summarizing education, positions and academic work)
- copies of educational certificates (academic transcripts only)
- list of reference persons: 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and phone number)
The application with attachments must be delivered in our recruiting system.
Interviews with the best qualified candidates will be arranged.
According to the Norwegian Freedom of Information Act (Offentleglova) information about The applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure
The University of Oslo aims to achieve a balanced gender composition in the workforce and to recruit people with ethnic minority backgrounds. Thus, we invite applications from all interested individuals regardless of gender or ethnicity but would like to specifically encourage female candidates to apply.
For technical questions regarding the application system, please contact HR Adviser Elin Thoresen, +47 22 85 71 96, e-mail: email@example.com
Hvem er Universitetet i Oslo (UiO)?
Universitetet i Oslo er Norges eldste og høyest rangerte forsknings- og undervisningsinstitusjon med 28 000 studenter og 7 000 ansatte. Faglig bredde og internasjonalt anerkjente forskningsmiljøer gjør UiO til en viktig samfunnsaktør.
Universitetets senter for informasjonsteknologi (USIT) leverer infrastruktur og IT-tjenester/-løsninger til både Universitetet i Oslo og universitets- og høgskolesektoren i Norge. USIT er et av landets største IT-faglige miljøer med i overkant av 220 fast ansatte og en omsetning på om lag 320 millioner kroner. Vi arbeider med et bredt spekter spennende tekniske løsninger basert på fremtidsrettet teknologi. USIT legger stor vekt på å gi sine tilsatte utfordrende og lærerike oppgaver som gir gode muligheter for faglig utvikling.