Join a dynamic team to take an active role in developing and managing IT services and provisioning Web based tools and applications used by hundreds of CERN’s engineers every day. Work at the heart of innovative Web technologies at the largest particle physics lab in the world: CERN.
The Web Frameworks section which provides Web content and application publishing services, and software development tools for version control and issue tracking. The Web Frameworks section operates more than 150 Web servers that host more than 14,000 Web sites on a wide range of technologies. This comprises content and collaboration management systems such as Drupal, SharePoint, TWiki/Foswiki, and classic Web Hosting servers based on Linux/Apache and Windows/IIS, and a Platform as a Service for Web Applications container solution based on OpenShift/OKD, the Origin Community Distribution of Kubernetes. In addition, the Web Frameworks section provides state of the art software development tools, such as Gitlab version control system and JIRA issue tracking.
As a Fullstack Engineer in the Web Frameworks section, your main responsibilities will be to:
- Developing, integrating, and configuring systems, such as OpenShift/OKD and Kubernetes,
- Driving continuous improvement of existing systems and applications in close collaboration with users and external partners/suppliers,
- Providing user and system/application support,
- Capturing user needs and constraints and performing functional analyses,
- Ensuring appropriate documentation exists throughout the lifecycle of the systems and services.
You will also contribute to:
- Managing the container-based Web frameworks infrastructure including software development tools such as Gitlab and JIRA,
- Managing security of IT systems and applications.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of computer science or a related field.
The experience required for this post is:
- Proven experience in web and software development,
- Experience in working with container and orchestration technologies such as Docker, OpenShift/OKD and Kubernetes.
- Architecture and design of ICT systems: , especially of system software administration and scripting for software container based applications and systems.
- Capacity management: , change management, continuity and availability management of software applications.
- Knowledge and application of software life-cycle tools and procedures
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages
- Identification and selection of relevant emerging ICT technologies
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting. Taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations. Delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs.
- Solving problems: producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements. Testing solutions for long-term suitability, cross-checking with all concerned before implementation.
- Working in teams: contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues.
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point. Providing others with timely information.
Good knowledge of English is required; Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations.
Basic knowledge of French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 14.02.2022 at noon (CET).
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: IT-CDA-WF-2021-139-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Computing Engineer
Hvem er CERN?
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.