Electrical Technician (High Power Radio-Frequency Systems) in the Beams Department (BE), the Radio-Frequency Group (RF), the Power Modules Section (PM).
You will join:
- The Beams Department (BE), which hosts the Groups responsible for beam generation, acceleration, diagnostics, controls and performance optimisation.
- The Radio-Frequency (RF) Group (https://cern.ch/be-dep-rf) of the Beams (BE) department, responsible for the operation of all RF systems to accelerate and control the particle beams in all CERN synchrotrons and linear accelerators, including projects for future accelerators and upgrades to the existing installations.
- The Power Modules Section (PM), responsible for the design, operation and maintenance of large RF power plants and related infrastructures.
As an Electrical Technician (High Power Radio-Frequency Systems) in the Power Modules Section, you will be part of a team working on RF power amplifiers with the aim of designing, assembling, maintaining and testing high power RF systems for CERN's present accelerators and present plus future projects.
- Participate in operation and maintenance of the existing SPS RF power systems.
- Contribute to the development and prototyping of improved RF power systems and their components for consolidation and upgrade of accelerators.
- Participate in installation and commissioning of these systems.
- Use office-computing applications and liaise with a drawing office and with other relevant services at CERN.
- Produce and manage the associated technical documentation and test reports.
- A particular attention to the security questions, either during the conception as during installation or exploitation, will be an essential point of these activities.
- Participate in a stand-by service our team provides on the equipment.
Higher technical diploma in the field of electricity, electronics, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Initial experience with high-power RF amplifiers would be an advantage.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Design of RF power systems and sources.
- Electro-mechanical construction.
- Design and development of crates and racks.
- Commissioning & maintenance of electro-mechanical equipment.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating a willingness to accept changing circumstances; supporting initiatives for change; adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities; supporting and acting in accordance with team decisions; accepting joint responsibility for team successes and shortcomings.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: thinking "out of the box" and proposing fresh ideas, insights and methodologies; taking steps to expand knowledge in other areas of expertise beyond own field.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw up technical texts in one of the two languages, as well as ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 16.07.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
Hvem er CERN?
The Convention also states that CERN shall organize and sponsor international co-operation in research, promoting contacts between scientists and interchange with other laboratories and institutes. This includes dissemination of information, and the provision of advanced training for research workers, which continue to be reflected in the current programmes for technology transfer, education and training at many levels.