Local Unit & Position Description
Our team of 25 engineers and technicians create and deliver world class material, structural integrity and laboratory services that range from early concept, through detailed design and operations, to life time extension, decommissioning and abandonment. The team also supports developments of codes and recommended practices maintained by DNV GL. We are a material competence center with a large capacity laboratory facility that provide services related to the full life cycle of oil and gas assets, and take on the role as expert, solutions provider and standard setter for our clients.
We deliver high end technical advisory and laboratory services related to the oil & gas, maritime, and energy industries covering technology qualification, laboratory testing, failure investigations, condition assessments, fitness for service assessments and life extension studies. Our main market is the North Sea, but we get involved in projects all over the world also related to Maritime and Energy industries.
We also invest heavily in R&D in close co-operation with the industry and internal domain experts, using our accumulated knowledge to develop tomorrow's standards and best practices. DNV GL believes that digital solutions will provide step changes in the way tasks and projects are performed in the coming years, and has a dedicated and detailed strategy for how to succeed in this. By combining our domain knowledge considering materials and structural integrity with state-of-the-art methods for data analytics, we aim for securing our role as leading provider of efficient solutions for our clients.
We are looking to strengthen our team with a professional within mathematics, statistics, or physics preferably with programming experience and a keen interest in probabilistic modeling of physical phenomena. Experience within mechanics, physics or structural engineering is beneficial, but the candidate will also be able to discuss and learn from some of the best experts in the respective fields.
The successful candidate will take on key roles in multi-discipline projects, carrying out technical analysis, developing numerical models, ensuring quality, and assist customers in their decision processes. The candidate will be an important catalysator to bring DNV GL material and lab services into the new digital age.
Typical tasks and expectations are:
- Carry out technical work within own area(s) of expertise in close collaboration with subject matter experts
- Develop numerical models, e.g. Monte Carlo simulations, Bayesian Networks and machine learning algorithms based on simulations and experimental data.
- Support software development of internal and commercial tools
- Work with development and maintenance of DNV GL codes and standards
- Work and integrate well with the materials team
- Act as project manager for relevant projects
Our working day is dynamic and provides opportunities within a large variety of demanding projects. This is a unique opportunity to work and contribute as part of a team of world leading experts, and for personal and professional development in a highly international context.
- MSc or PhD degree in mathematics, statistics, physics or similar
- Experience within mechanics, physics, materials or structural engineering is beneficial
- Object oriented programming experience, and preferably experience with Python, R, or other relevant programming languages
The successful candidate will benefit from the following personal qualities:
- Is a team player and co-operates well with others; supports others in the pursuit of team goals
- Takes initiative and accepts responsibility for results
- Executes plans with commitment and determination, and achieves high quality results
- Uses a methodical and systematic approach to execute work
- Demonstrate specialist expertise in own area
- Communicates in a clear, precise and structured way
Hvem er DNV GL?
DNV GL is a global quality assurance and risk management company. Driven by our purpose of safeguarding life, property and the environment, we enable our customers to advance the safety and sustainability of their business. We provide classification, technical assurance, software and independent expert advisory services to the maritime, oil & gas, power and renewables industries. We also provide certification, supply chain and data management services to customers across a wide range of industries. Combining technical, digital and operational expertise, risk methodology and in-depth industry knowledge, we empower our customers’ decisions and actions with trust and confidence. We continuously invest in research and collaborative innovation to provide customers and society with operational and technological foresight. With origins stretching back to 1864 and operations in more than 100 countries, our experts are dedicated to helping customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.
DNV GL is the world’s leading classification society and a recognized advisor for the maritime industry. We enhance safety, quality, energy efficiency and environmental performance of the global shipping industry – across all vessel types and offshore structures. We invest heavily in research and development to find solutions, together with the industry, that address strategic, operational or regulatory challenges.