Our Engineering Department (EN) pushes forward the limits of technology so that physicists can carry out their research. Within the Mechanical & Materials Engineering Group (MME) of EN you will work for the Design Office, which is in charge of mechanical design activities required for CERN projects.
As a designer-draughtsman you will take part in the design and integration of systems for physic accelerators and detectors. You will design equipment for vacuum systems, beam monitoring instrumentation and components for magnetic or radiofrequency systems. CERN, take part!
As a Designer-Draughtsman in the Design Office, you will be in charge of:
- The design and integration of mechanical systems and components for particle accelerators and detectors using computer-aided design tool.
- The preparation of drawings for specifications and manufacturing folders in compliance with relevant drafting standards and current quality assurance plans.
- The preparation of the project documentation following the design office quality assurance procedures;
- The follow-up of the manufacturing and assembling of mechanical components.
Higher technical diploma in the field of mechanics or a related field.
- Demonstrated working experience as a designer in a mechanical design office.
- Demonstrated experience with 3D and 2D technical drawing software.
- Archiving and records management: ability to write and properly archive technical reports and documentation.
- Production of 2D drawings and 3D models: in compliance with relevant standards for dimensioning and tolerancing, in particular ISO Geometrical Product Specifications (GPS).
- Design of mechanical systems. Ability to analyse and solve basic mechanical engineering problems using strength of materials and materials selection principles.
- Precision assembly and construction. Knowledge of fabrication techniques and processes such as machining, forming, assembly (e.g. welding, brazing).
- Achieving Results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind
- Communicating Effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point
- Demonstrating Flexibility: readily absorbing new techniques and working practices; proposing new or improved ways of working Being willing to work on different projects simultaneously
- Working in Teams: cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
Spoken and written English is a must, any other language is an advantage.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 15.11.2021 at 12pm CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: EN-MME-EDM-2020-87-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Technician
Hvem er CERN?
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.