About the position
As part of a larger recruitment effort, we are looking for a colleague to boost research and teaching in data science at NMBU with competence in modern data management.
The Faculty of Science and Technology (REALTEK) at the Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU) aims to recruit an associate professor in data science focusing on data management for a data science world. The position is a full-time permanent position.
Building on a long history of applied statistics at NMBU, the Faculty of Science and Technology is currently boosting its data science efforts with a focus on broad technological applications.
Our research areas span from multivariate analysis and metamodelling via machine learning to simulation technology, with applications ranging from geomatics, robotics and electrical power systems via public health to biospectroscopy, bioinformatics, diagnostics, neuroscience, optimization, operations management, and predictive maintenance. NMBU is a founding member of NORA, the Norwegian Artificial Intelligence Research Consortium.
Data science at REALTEK is focused on applications. Our faculty combines a wide range of engineering fields in a single building, facilitating frequent interdisciplinary interactions and joint strategic efforts between data scientists and fields of application. NMBU's compact and beautiful campus offers many further opportunities to apply data science, especially in biosciences and economics. At REALTEK and NMBU you will never have to walk far to meet colleagues eager to engage in data science research inspired by the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
REALTEK currently offers two study programs in data science, a five-year integrated master (sivilingeniør) and a two-year master program taught in English, a very popular program in industrial economics and has launched a five-year robotic master program this year.
As part of a larger recruitment effort, we are looking for a colleague who will complement our expertise with competence in data management for a data science world.
As an associate professor in data science, you will
- perform research in data science at an internationally respected level;
- teach data and computer science including programming at the undergraduate and graduate levels;
- supervise master and PhD students;
- establish your own research projects and attract funding from national and international sources;
- establish interdisciplinary collaborations on and beyond campus;
- participate in academic administration and the continuous development of our study programs and research activities.
Qualification requirements, desired experiences, knowledge and personal qualities
Required Academic qualifications
- Doctoral and master degree in a relevant discipline. Foreign doctoral degrees must be recognised as equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree.
- Documented educational competence according to NMBU's guidelines. Lacking qualifications must be obtained within a two-year period after appointment to the position.
- Scientific achievements in data science documented through peer-reviewed publications in international journals
The following experiences and skills will be emphasized:
- Experience in international and interdisciplinary research projects
- Teaching experience in data or computer science
- Experience with software or data carpentry approaches
- Experience in developing software for third parties
- Experience in supervising master or doctoral students
- Experience in external project funding acquisition
- Experience in academic administration
Required personal skills
- Ability to engage students and colleagues
- Drive to participate in and build interdisciplinary research projects applying data science to real-world problems
- Excellent spoken and written English
Desired personal skills
- Ability to communicate your research to colleagues and the public
- Fluency in Norwegian, Danish or Swedish; you will be required to teach Norwegian-language undergraduate courses preferably after one year, at the latest after two years.
NMBU wants more women in permanent academic positions. Women are encouraged to apply.
Remuneration and information
The position is placed in government pay scale position code 1011 Associate Professor, wage framework 24, salary grade 65 -77 (NOK 583 900 – 741 300), depending on qualifications. Seniority Promotion in position.
For further information, please contact the head of the Data Science Section, Prof. Hans Ekkehard Plesser. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; phone +47 6723 1560.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to consult the detailed description of our faculty, the Data Science and industrial economics groups and our study programs, as well as our expectations and evaluation criteria for the positions provided as Additional Information for Applicants.
To apply online for this vacancy, please click on the 'Apply for this job' button above. This will route you to the University's Web Recruitment System, where you will need to register an account (if you have not already) and log in before completing the online application form.
Application deadline: 22.03.2020
All applicants must document their educational competence according to NMBU’s guidelines on educational competence for associate professors. Please use the template provided in the guidelines.
As part of your application, please provide a research plan, links to software projects to which you have made significant contributions and up to ten relevant peer-reviewed publications. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to multi-author publications, please provide a short explanation of your part of the work.
Printed material which cannot be sent electronically should be sent by surface mail to Norwegian University of Life Sciences, Faculty of Science and Technology, P.O. Box 5003, NO-1432 Ås, within 22.03.2020. Please quote reference number 20/00348
Applicants invited for an interview will be asked to present verified copies of diplomas and certificates.
The Faculty of Science and Technology has 130 employees, about 1,200 students and about 70 PhD students. The Faculty offers bachelor, master and doctoral degrees in natural sciences and engineering in the fields of Environmental Physics and Renewable Energy, Data Science, Building and Architecture, Water and Environmental Technology, Machine-, Process and Product Development, Robotics, Geomatics and Educational Sciences. The workplace is in Ås, 30 km from Oslo.
Further information: https://www.nmbu.no/en/faculty/realtek
Hvem er NMBU - Norges miljø- og biovitenskapelige universitet?
NMBU har et særlig ansvar for forskning og utdanning som sikrer livsgrunnlaget for fremtidige generasjoner. Bærekraft er forankret i alt vi gjør og vi leverer kunnskap for livet.
NMBU har 1700 ansatte og 5200 studenter og er organisert i sju fakulteter. NMBU har campus i Ås og i Oslo. Høsten 2020 er vi samlokalisert på Ås. Nærmere opplysninger om NMBU finnes på www.nmbu.no
NMBU has a special responsibility for research and education that ensures the basis of life for future generations.Sustainability is rooted in everything we do and we provide knowledge for life.
NMBU has 1700 employees and 5200 students and is organized in seven faculties. NMBU has a campus in Ås and in Oslo. In the autumn of 2020 we are co-located on Ås. Further information on NMBU is available at www.nmbu.no