The Engineering Department (EN) pushes forward the limits of technology to provide innovative research tools to the physics and engineering worldwide community. Within the Accelerator Coordination & Engineering group (ACE) group, you will join the Organization, Scheduling and Support section (OSS).
Within this section, you are responsible for coordinating and planning of consolidation, upgrade, installation, maintenance and repair activities for part of the different accelerators’ long shutdowns and technical stops, as well as for providing planning support for different CERN projects such as the High Luminosity LHC and Consolidation.
Do you relish the challenge to oversee all technologies of the different CERN accelerators, from ventilation systems, electrical equipment, magnets, and vacuum components to complex accelerator hardware? Take part!
- Coordinate all installation and maintenance activities for part of the different accelerators, ensuring all activities are carried out within the agreed overall schedule, considering safety rules and quality standards;
- Plan and coordinate activities related to the implementation of large new projects;
- Prepare all supporting documentation and liaise between the stakeholders;
- Manage the impact of operational issues affecting the installation and maintenance work on the schedule, in order to minimize delays;
- Identify and resolve conflicting co-activity issues with the stakeholders and the project leaders;
- Ensure that all safety concerns related to the installation works are identified and that the relevant safety rules/procedures are implemented;
- Follow up and report on onsite activities progress, to identify deviations and anticipate co-activities issues;
- Take responsibilities in the development of scheduling tools.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Engineering, applied physics or a related field.
- Demonstrated substantial experience in the work coordination of complex activities, for large facilities;
- Demonstrated experience with project management and project coordination;
- Proven experience in engaging stakeholders and obtaining consensus around commonly agreed objectives;
- Demonstrated experience of working with multiple project planning tools, and the communication between them.
- Project management: and its related tools
- Organisation, planning and control
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages: (VBA, Python, advanced knowledge in database management);
- Technical knowledge of industrial engineering systems such as Cooling & Ventilation, Electrical Systems, Alarms, Controls, …
- Knowledge related to accelerators technologies will be an asset.
- Optimising Resources: identifying possible obstacles to achieving goals and drawing up contingency plans; adapting resources to changing priorities Involving key stakeholders at critical stages to ensure availability of resources
- Solving Problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them Assimilating large quantities of information, identifying key issues and formulating conclusions clearly and concisely.
- Communicating Effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point Utilising effective negotiation techniques to achieve long-term results acceptable to all parties involved
- Demonstrating Flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements
- Building Relationships: being able to put self in the shoes of others in order to understand their needs and interests
Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages. Ability to understand, speak and improve the other language rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 15.08.2021.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: EN-ACE-OSS-2021-75-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Engineer
Hvem er CERN?
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.